Saturday, April 14, 2012

Steak and tomatoes – BBQ season is here!

It might be warm enough to barbeque all year long in Vancouver but when it rains 7 out of the 7 days of the week for the majority of the winter months, it’s hard to want to stand in the rain waiting for dinner to cook itself. Now that the sun’s out, it almost feels as though the BBQ is begging to be used! This steak recipe is very simple and healthy enough that when my mom asked “but what about the salad?” I was able to say “there is tomato salad on the steak” and get away with not having to chop up any addition vegetables… My kind of meal!

P.S. Get ready for an abundance of crazy delicious grilling recipes!


This recipe serves two gluttons or a family of four :

2 Strip Loin Steaks

1 ½ cup of Fresh Chopped Tomatoes (roma or on the vine are the most flavourful)

1 Tsp Herbes de Provence – or basil for a completely different yet delicious meal

1 Tbsp Olive oil, plus enough to drizzle on the steaks

1 Tbsp Red Wine vinegar

Salt and Pepper

1. Pre-heat the BBQ

2. Drizzle some olive oil on the steaks, sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides, set aside

3. Chop the tomatoes.

4. In a small bowl mix the olive oil, vinegar, herbs, a pinch of salt and pepper

5. Stir the vinaigrette into the tomatoes and let sit while the steaks are on the grill.

6. Depending on how done you like your steaks, 4 to 7 minutes a side should do if these are as thick as the ones I used… Personally, I like them lightly seared (it seems I’m the only one out there on that boat)

7. Once the steaks are done, slice them thinly and place in a serving dish. Layer the thin steak strips with the tomatoes and serve immediately! We had it with a golden potato salad – recipe to come soon!

Bon Appétit!

1 comment:

  1. Nice...sounds SOOOOO GOOD. Thanks for this...I'm having a company bbq this weekend and I feel you just provided me my own personal "need-to-know" essentials! ;)

    ReplyDelete