Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Julia Child Inspired Bruschetta

This recipe is a recipe I crave often but never actually get around to making because it entails toasting bread in a pan full of olive oil and my guilt often overpowers my cravings. From the moment I saw it being made on "Julie & Julia," I knew I had to try it for myself. It's very simple, quick, and is full of summer flavours that I can never get enough of... so without further a do:



Julia Child Inspired Bruschetta:
(Serves 4)

1 fresh French Baguette, sliced into 1cm diagonal slices
1 ½ cups of chopped tomatoes (romas are best but I used on-the-vine today because it’s all we had!)
2 tbsp. of chopped fresh basil
1 ½ tbsp. of olive oil + more for the pan
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix the chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, minced garlic, salt and pepper, and the oil into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Pour a generous amount of olive oil in a pan and heat over medium heat until hot. Place slices of baguette in the hot oil, 1-2 minutes per side until crispy golden/brown. Do not overcrowd the pan, and add more oil if the first few slices absorb too much.

3. Once all the slices are crispy, top with the tomato mixture and serve immediately. They can be served with parmesan, or garnished with a basil leaf.


Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment