Monday, May 9, 2011

Chicken Stroganoff

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I have absolutely no inspiration lately and had to force myself to make something remotely decent as a Mother’s Day meal for my mom because the night before I made the super delicious but extremely basic and bland “pasta with butter, cheddar and ham”. This Chicken Stroganoff recipe, which I sort of based on a few recipes I found online, is the ultimate comfort food and I ate way too much of it. I also added peppers to it so I wouldn’t have to make a vegetable dish… They are the biggest drag.



Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
2 or 3 Medium Chicken Breasts, cut into 1-2” chunks
1 Tsp. Ground Sage
1 Tsp. Ground Thyme
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Butter
½ A Golden Onion, chopped finely
2 Cloves of Garlic, pressed
3 Cups White Mushrooms, sliced
2 Yellow/Orange Peppers, chopped
1½ Cups of Chicken Stock
½ Cup Heavy Cream
½ Cup Sour Cream (the best!)


1. In a bowl, toss the chicken chunks with the flour, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
2. In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the chicken until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms, toss to coat. Sprinkling some salt onto the mushrooms will help them release their liquid. Saute the vegetables until they are lightly browned over low heat.
4. Deglaze the bottom of the skillet with some white wine, or some chicken broth, pour in the rest of the broth. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Return the chicken to the pan, add the heavy cream. (If you wanted to serve the dish with egg noodles, now would be the time to stir 3 cups of Egg noodles, with an extra cup of chicken broth!) Stir in chopped yellow/orange pepper. Simmer 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
6. Remove from heat, take a few tablespoons of the sauce to mix into the sour cream to prevent curdling. Once the sour cream has been mixed in with some hot sauce, stir the sour cream into the final dish.
7. You may serve this chicken stroganoff with anything. I served it with rice for my parents, but ate it with macaroni. I think the best way to eat it is with egg-noodles.



Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment