Monday, December 5, 2011

Mexican Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

When I made this super simple salad, I knew I would like it… I knew my sister would like it… and even maybe my dad too but I really didn’t expect my mom or brother to even taste it (they both hate cilantro! I know, tragic) but surprisingly enough, everybody loved this salad. It’s completely different than anything I usually make and everybody wanted second helpings! I strongly recommend it if you like all sorts of Mexican flavours in your dishes. Another great thing about this salad is it can be made ahead of time, and stays delicious for a few days.

Ingredients:

I box of Quinoa (225 g)

1 Can of Corn

1 Can of Black beans (rinsed)

¼ Cup of Green Onions (sliced)

1 Yellow Pepper (chopped)

½ Cup of Cilantro (chopped)

6 Tbsp of Lime Juice

2 Tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar

1/3 Cup of Vegetable Oil

1 Tsp of Cumin

1 Tsp of Salt

1 Tsp of Red Pepper Flakes

A dash of Hot Sauce

1. Cook the quinoa according to instructions on the box (225 grams of Quinoa in 2 ½ cups of boiling salted water, reduce heat and cook 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed).

2. In a large bowl, stir in quinoa, black beans, yellow pepper, corn, green onions, green onion, and the cilantro.

3. In a small glass or bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt, cumin and red pepper flakes until combined.

4. Stir dressing into the quinoa bowl and serve at room temperature. (If the quinoa is still a bit warm, the salad is delicious). Sprinkle with hot sauce and enjoy.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment