Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rice Pudding

Another dish I've been craving for ages! The thing about living at home with a family like mine, is that no matter how much you talk about something you'd like to eat, it never gets made. This is probably the reason I started this blog in the first place. I crave things all the time, but if I wait until dinner time to ask "what's for dinner?", the answer is usually something along the lines of "salad," "carrot soup," or "fish." So anytime I crave anything, I just make it. If my family doesn't happen to be happy about it, I make it anyways, because it's good, and because it beats carrot soup any day of the week. Here's my rice pudding recipe, loosely following the Joy of Cooking cookbook (one of my faves!)


Ingredients:

3-4 Cups of cooked rice
4-5 Cups of milk
1/2 Cup of sugar
1/4 Tsp of salt
1 Tsp of Vanilla
Cinnamon Sugar to sprinkle on top (If you don't have any cinnamon sugar on hand, you're missing out. It's about 4 parts sugar, 1 part cinnamon)

1. Bring rice and milk to a boil, and reduce to a simmer until all the milk has been absorbed (around 30 minutes)
2. Stir in sugar, salt, vanilla, and even some cinnamon if you desire.
3. Serve warm or cold ( I prefer warm) and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before serving.

Side note: I used leftover rice after making fried rice, which I had rinsed vigorously before cooking to remove excess starch. If you’re planning on making rice pudding, don’t rinse the rice, as it will result in a creamier pudding texture. My rice pudding was good on the first day but the milk sort of separated over a few days afterwards.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment