2 lbs. Sweet potato chunks (peeled)
1 tbsp. Canola oil (original recipe called for peanut oil but my poor brother is allergic!)
1 tsp. Mustard seeds
1 clove of garlic
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 small red chili (chopped, seeds removed)
3 ¾ cups of chicken broth
½ cup of coconut milk (plus more to garnish)
Salt and pepper
Fresh cilantro to garnish (we didn’t have any!) :’-(
1. In a large pot, fry the mustard seeds in the oil until they begin to pop. Stir in garlic, onion, chili and celery until golden brown.
2. Add the sweet potato chunks and the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Blend the mixture with an immersion blender, food processor or blender until smooth.
4. Stir the coconut milk into the smooth mixture. Adjust the salt and pepper seasoning and serve.
5. Swirl a spoonful of coconut milk into each bowl for an added touch of delicious. Fresh cilantro would have looked good on this soup but we didn’t have any! L