Monday, November 7, 2011

Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup


I recently discovered that I actually love soup. I never thought I did just because the soup I grew up with was mainly just watered down mashed veggies, not this amazing flavour explosion that it has the potential to be. The first of many soup recipes I am no doubt going to post (my dad bought me an immersion blender yesterday) is a Tortellini Soup. I read a few recipes online to get the main idea with ingredients, spices, etc. but used all the vegetables I could find to make it a bit healthier. When my brother has his first sip he said “wow, this is really good. Can you make this soup everyday, like can this be an everyday meal?” Like me, he didn’t even like soup before! Here it goes:

Ingredients: (this soup serves 8)

1 package of fresh tortellini (I used cheese-stuffed)
1 can of diced tomatoes
3 cups of vegetable broth
1 small russet potato cut into 1cm pieces
1 tbsp of Olive oil
1 tbsp of dried Basil
½ cup of chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
¼ cup of Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper

1. Cook the tortellini according to the packaging directions. Once drained, rinse with cold water and set aside for later.
2. In a large pot on medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic until soft/golden respectfully.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to the onions (broth, tomato, potato, parmesan), bring to a boil
4. Once boiling, turn the heat down to simmer for approximately 30 minutes and remove from heat.
5. Once cooled a bit, use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a nice smooth consistency.
6. Add the ravioli and serve ☺


Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment